Skip to main content
DistrictCampus
CAMPUS

About Kerr

View of Kerr Middle School

Everett F. Kerr Middle School

 

Graig C. Mason, Principal 
Ann Marie Mayorga, Assistant Principal 

12915 S. Maple Ave. 
Blue Island, IL 60406

Phone: (708) 385-5959 
Fax: (708) 489-3582

Hours: 8:00 am - 2:30 pm

 

Everett F. Kerr Middle School: Illinois State Report Card & 5Essentials Survey Results

Information collected from state assessments and surveys provides us guidance on ways to continuously improve our services to the children and community we serve. 

La información recopilada de las evaluaciones y encuestas estatales nos brinda orientación sobre las formas de mejorar continuamente nuestros servicios para los niños y la comunidad a la que servimos.

Everett F. Kerr Middle School is named after the Superintendent of Schools that served Cook County School District 130 from 1950-1972. In the 1950s, near the beginning of his time with our District, the Illinois legislature forced the closing of nearby District 129, a one-room school in Crestwood. This led to the present-day boundaries of CCSD130 – serving the four communities of Alsip, Blue Island, Crestwood, and Robbins. As the population grew due to accessibility to expressways and other major forms of transportation, so did the number of schools and services provided to children and families under the leadership of Everett F. Kerr.

The original location of Everett F. Kerr Middle School is what is now Veterans Memorial Middle School and District Office. Old signs and plaques at these sites still reference the location as Kerr.

The mascot was originally the Kerr Kougar, based on a school-wide contest. The spelling changed to the more conventional and current “Cougar” over the years.

In the 1980s, Community High School District 218 was no longer planning to utilize its Old Main freshman building on Maple Avenue. CCSD130 invested in its improvements to provide space for Blue Island's growing middle school population – moving Everett F. Kerr Middle School to its current location at 12915 Maple Avenue. Even today, many lifelong residents of Blue Island will still refer to the building as Old Main, so when it originally became part of CCSD130, the building was referred to as Everett F. Kerr Middle School – Old Main.

Initially, sixth-grade was housed down the block at Whittier School, and Grades 7 & 8 were at the current location. In 2001, the Blue Island middle school enrollment was split between Everett F. Kerr Middle School and the newly opened and remodeled Veterans Memorial Middle School – the site originally referred to as Kerr. From that point on, all three grade levels of Kerr Cougars called the current building home.

Many “hidden” areas of the building highlight its history: entrances to the old tunnel system that ran under the city; coal delivery chutes; chimneys that are no longer used or recognizable in satellite images; underground rooms; artifacts from past classes and building structures.

The building itself serves as the educational cornerstone within the heart of the community, and its namesake oversaw some of the most transformative future-focused decades in the elementary education of our District.


La Escuela de Everett F. Kerr Middle lleva el nombre del Superintendente de Escuelas que sirvió al Distrito Escolar 130 del Condado de Cook desde 1950-1972. En la década de 1950, cerca del comienzo de su tiempo en nuestro Distrito, la legislatura de Illinois forzó el cierre del cercano Distrito 129, una escuela de un salón en Crestwood. Esto llevó a los límites actuales de CCSD130, que sirve a las cuatro comunidades de Alsip, Blue Island, Crestwood y Robbins. A medida que la población creció debido a la accesibilidad a las autopistas y otras formas importantes de transporte, también lo hizo la cantidad de escuelas y servicios brindados a los niños y las familias bajo el liderazgo de Everett F. Kerr.

La ubicación original de la Escuela de Everett F. Kerr Middle es lo que ahora es la Oficina del Distrito y la Escuela de Veterans Memorial Middle. Los letreros y placas antiguos en estos sitios todavía hacen referencia a la ubicación como Kerr.

La mascota era originalmente Kerr Kougar, basada en un concurso de toda la escuela. La ortografía cambió a la más convencional y actual "Cougar" a lo largo de los años.

En la década de 1980, el Distrito de Escuelas Secundarias Comunitarias 218 ya no planeaba utilizar su edificio de primer año Old Main en Maple Avenue. CCSD130 invirtió en sus mejoras para proporcionar espacio para la creciente población de escuelas intermedias de Blue Island, trasladando la escuela secundaria Everett F. Kerr a su ubicación actual en 12915 Maple Avenue. Incluso hoy en día, muchos residentes de toda la vida de Blue Island seguirán refiriéndose al edificio como Old Main, por lo que cuando originalmente se convirtió en parte de CCSD130, el edificio se denominó Everett F. Kerr Middle School - Old Main.

Inicialmente, el sexto grado estaba ubicado en la cuadra de la escuela Whittier, y los grados 7 y 8 estaban en la ubicación actual. En 2001, la inscripción a la escuela secundaria Blue Island se dividió entre la escuela secundaria Everett F. Kerr y la escuela secundaria Veterans Memorial, recientemente inaugurada y remodelada, el sitio originalmente conocido como Kerr. A partir de ese momento, los tres niveles de Kerr Cougars llamaron hogar al edificio actual.

Muchas áreas “ocultas” del edificio destacan su historia: entradas al antiguo sistema de túneles que corría debajo de la ciudad; tolvas de distribución de carbón; chimeneas que ya no se utilizan o no son reconocibles en las imágenes de satélite; salas subterráneas; artefactos de clases pasadas y estructuras de edificios.

El edificio en sí mismo sirve como la piedra angular educativa dentro del corazón de la comunidad, y su homónimo supervisó algunas de las décadas más transformadoras enfocadas en el futuro en la educación primaria de nuestro Distrito.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events